Where can I car share to?
We are promoting car sharing with a lot of exciting festivals and sporting events, so if you are traveling to these that is a very good way to start.
However, you can very easily get your friends onto GoCarShare by clicking on the share by facebook link below. Then, whenever your friends are off traveling somewhere, you can look into traveling together.
Will car sharing affect my car insurance in any way?
No, providing you are only asking car sharers for a contribution towards the running costs of your car as we recommend (and not making a profit), car sharing will not affect your insurance in any way. This assumes that you are traveling in a vehicle seating eight passengers or less and that carrying passengers is not your business.
If you are still concerned as to whether you are acting appropriately, the best thing to do is to contact your insurance company to ensure that you are acting within their guidelines.
How much does it cost?
There is no compulsory charge for using the site for either the passengers or the drivers. If you have enjoyed using the site, then you will be able to contribute towards future developments if you wish.
Each passenger should ensure that they have the correct amount of money to pay the driver for their contribution to the travel costs at the start of the journey. It is the passenger’s responsibility to ensure that they have the correct amount of change to pay the driver.
I am a driver, what sort of contribution shall I ask for?
GoCarShare leaves it in the hands of the driver to decide upon the size of the contribution they would like to ask for.
However, if you are struggling to decide upon how much to charge for petrol, a sensible approach would be for drivers to ask their passengers for a fee in the region of £0.10 per passenger per mile. Users can use tools such as the AA route planner to estimate the journey length and work out the desired contributions. I.e. the driver might ask the passenger for £23.60 for the return trip London to Bristol (e.g. 0.10p per mile * 236 miles). Drivers are advised not to ask for a total contribution in excess of 40p per mile traveled.
Rounding up or down payments avoids the need for change and is obviously a sensible solution.
How should I make contact with the car sharer?
GoCarShare has an internal messaging system that users can use to communicate. Once you have found someone who you think is interested in sharing, send them a message using the messaging service to confirm your travel intentions or request to make a car share.
We recommend making contact via phone before you car share. Meeting in a public area is recommended, ideally somewhere close to public transport in case your travel partner is unable to make the trip.
What do I do if I have a question?
If you have a question of any type your best first point of call is consulting the frequently asked questions right here.
If your question is not answered here, drop us an email at email@example.com and we will see what we can do.
If I am concerned about the behaviour of a user
- Whenever you share a journey with a user you have the opportunity to rate and comment on them, this is an effective way for users to gather appropriate information so that they can choose the best person to share with.
- However, if at any stage whilst using the site, you come across a user who you believe is in breech of the terms and conditions or is acting inappropriately, please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will act accordingly.
- Although we think car sharing is a fun and exciting opportunity, the decision to do it is entirely yours. It’s not for everyone. Ultimately GoCarShare is not currently providing checks on the users of the site or any recommendation over their character.
- All registered passengers and drivers must be at least 18 years old.
Users are responsible for their own safety, however GoCarShare does recommend the following:
- Users arrange to meet in public places.
- Users notify a friend of their travel details: who they are traveling with, where they are traveling to and when they expect to arrive.
- All users should show each other valid ID (e.g. a drivers license or passport), users are advised only to share lifts with people when their ID matches their profile information.
- Users are reminded that they are under no obligation to share a journey with the person arranged, if you have any doubts about the person you have agreed to share with, you are advised not to make the journey.
- GoCarShare reserve the right to bar users if they have given false information or if their behavior contravenes the terms and conditions.
- Users are advised not to provide their details relating to their home address or to their home telephone number in their profiles.
- If users wish to restrict their car shares to users of the same sex that is acceptable.
- GoCarShare holds the right to strike off users if they are deemed not to have behaved in accordance with the terms and conditions or they are deemed to have acted inappropriately.
What if things don’t go as planned?
- If your circumstances change and you are no longer able to honour your car sharing arrangement please notify your agreed car sharer partner as soon as possible.
- GoCarShare only provides a facility for finding car share partners and cannot guarantee that users of the site will honour their arrangements, similarly users of the site are under no obligation to make a journey that they have previously agreed to.